I haven’t met a woman, or a grown man for that matter, who didn’t want clear skin. We all secretly obsess about it and feverishly ask our girlfriends, who have flawless skin, what their regiment is.
When they reveal it’s from oil cleansing do you immediately peace out at the thought of slathering oil on your face or are you up for trying anything that works?
Why oil cleansing works
The whole idea behind oil cleansing is that like attracts like. The “good” oil dissolves the “bad” oil—and so it’s the best way to remove dirt and makeup without stripping moisture or throwing off your skin’s pH balance. If you strip the skin of its natural oils, like a lot of oil-free cleansers do, then your skin reacts by producing even more oil to compensate. Excess oil means problematic skin.
Besides all of that though, your skin produces oil to keep itself hydrated and in balance so using oils to cleanse doesn't seem like a crazy idea after all huh?
When an oil cleanser is massaged into the skin the oils lock on to the dirt and makeup and when the oil gets wiped all the impurities get wiped off too leaving you with clean, soft and hydrated skin.
There are a variety of oil cleansing combinations that contain ingredients geared towards addressing specific issues – dryness, dullness, acne – and can therefore effectively cleanse and improve all skin types. Check out our article on What Oil Is Right For Your Skin to get a better understanding of what to look for.
Our Restart Face Oil Cleanser was carefully formulated with superstar ingredients to effectively cleanse, while nurturing and hydrating your skin at the same time, and is why it's a permanent staple in my skincare routine.
What is the oil cleanse ritual?
- Dampen your face with water (filtered is best if you can!)
- Pump a small amount of the oil cleanser into your palms and rub it a few times
- Massage the oil onto your face with gentle upward circular motions
- If need be pump more oil onto your hands – the goal is to have your face feel completed covered in oil
- Soak a wash cloth in warm water and wipe off the excess oil from your face
- If you have time, lie down and place the warm wash cloth on your face. Relax your mind and focus on your breathing as it cools down before wiping away the oil, dirt and any stress you may be carrying
- Follow with a few spritzes of a toner or hydrosol and your favourite face oil (we of course love our Refresh Flower Shower Face Mist and Restore Face Oil Potion)
It doesn’t matter if your skin is oily, dry or sensitive, you can always try out this natural method of cleansing. But be patient. It may not initially appear to work, but your skin will get used to it and then you’ll wonder how you ever did without.
~ Sonja xo